Re: Pretest?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Pretest?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:09:07 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 3/13/07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> But server.el should not mess up the command that is being executed.
>>
>> As David pointed out, emacsclient is rarely started in an asynchronous
>> way; usually is as a result of user interaction, either clicking
>> somewhere or typing "emacsclient myfile" in a shell. "Messing up" with
>> the command being executed is exactly what I would expect from such an
>> action.
>
> I agree.  I have sometimes wondered why my emacsclient frame does not pop
> up (I have set server-window to create a new frame) when I have forgotten
> to exit an isearch in another frame.  Normally almost any command will
> abort the isearch.
>
>> And IIRC, both the current isearch issue and the previous
>> patch to abort recursive editing were prompted by users considering
>> not doing that as a bug.
>
> Which I agree with aborting isearch, I don't agree with aborting a
> recursive editing, since the latter is not as much a modal thing.

To make that clear: my suggestion was about exiting the minibuffer.
However, if point moves to the buffer window, exiting the minibuffer
can probably be left to the normal recursive-minibuffer mechanisms
that kick in when the user tries using the minibuffer other than
moving back into it with C-x o.

So that suggestion of mine was probably not really an improvement.

--
David Kastrup