Re: Pretest?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Pretest?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:44:52 -0400

>     > It should display that buffer in another window, and not abort
>     > anything.
>
>     That might means the new buffer will not be immediately available for
>     editing, until the user cancels the minibuffer or isearch.
>
> That is right.  The user will see the other buffer appear, and can
> either finish or cancel the command that is in progress.  I think that
> is less harsh.

By the way, do you actually use emacsclient/server yourself?  It seems
that people who actually do use emacsclient (well, and also everyone
else who has weighed in on this matter) feel it is more intuitive for
an emacsclient call to interrupt isearch, rather than the behavior you
are proposing.  In that sense, your "less harsh" behavior---whatever
other benefits it might have---is actually more harsh, because it
doesn't do what people expect.