Re: `q' in debugger with a dedicated *Backtrace* window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `q' in debugger with a dedicated *Backtrace* window
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:29:30 -0400

> (with-current-buffer debugger-buffer
>   (erase-buffer)
>   (fundamental-mode)
>   (with-selected-window (get-buffer-window debugger-buffer 0)
>     (when (and (window-dedicated-p (selected-window))
>                (not debugger-will-be-back))
>       ;; If the window is not dedicated, burying the buffer
>       ;; will mean that the frame created for it is left
>       ;; around showing some random buffer, and next time we
>       ;; pop to the debugger buffer we'll create yet
>       ;; another frame.
>       ;; If debugger-will-be-back is non-nil, the frame
>       ;; would need to be de-iconified anyway immediately
>       ;; after when we re-enter the debugger, so iconifying it
>       ;; here would cause flashing.
>       ;; Use quit-window rather than bury-buffer to quieten
>       ;; Drew Adams.  --Stef
>       (quit-window))))

> To speak to the comment about Drew Adams: Before this was changed to
> quit-window, things were even worse - iconifying (with the flashing
> mentioned) and bury-buffer were tried. Multiple debugger frames were
> created, reproducing like rabbits.

AFAIK, 90% of the flashing problem was fixed by checking
debugger-will-be-back.  The 10% remaining is only for the case where
a breakpoint is in the middle of a loop.
As for reproducing like rabbits, this was before the (window-dedicated-p
(selected-window)) check (AFAIK, again), so it's been fixed 100%.

So if I understand correctly you're opposed to bury-buffer because in some
cases it causes flashing.  I don't know about you, but I find flashing
*much* less problematic than deletion/recreation of a frame.

You seem to have forgotten the main reason why you didn't want bury-buffer:
you didn't want a iconified frame left around.

I guess I should just revert to bury-buffer to add an option
debugger-for-drew-adams.  This way you'll stop whining and I'll get the
saner behavior.

> quit-window is a pain

That's what I told you when you kept begging for it.

        Stefan