A new(?) warning of erase-buffer, which was not seen before.

From: ishikawa
Subject: A new(?) warning of erase-buffer, which was not seen before.
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:20:15 +0900

Hi,

When I ran "erase-buffer" on a buffer named "*sim*", I got
the following warning, which I didn't get with older version of Emacs.

Is this warning an intentional one?

In the old emacs version(s), it used to be that erase-buffer intentionally
discarded undo information if I recall correctly. The buffer in question, namely
"*sim*",  contained
a voluminous output of a running simulator program and I simply want to
throw away the contents from time to time. And thus, undo is not necessary
for this buffer.

emacs-version is a variable defined in `version.el'.
Its value is "22.0.93.1"

--- new warning which I see with 22.0.93.1

Warning (undo): Buffer `*sim*' undo info was 4766843 bytes long.
The undo info was discarded because it exceeded `undo-outer-limit'.

This is normal if you executed a command that made a huge change
to the buffer.  In that case, to prevent similar problems in the
future, set `undo-outer-limit' to a value that is large enough to
cover the maximum size of normal changes you expect a single
command to make, but not so large that it might exceed the
maximum memory allotted to Emacs.

If you did not execute any such command, the situation is
probably due to a bug and you should report it.

You can disable the popping up of this buffer by adding the entry
(undo discard-info) to the user option `warning-suppress-types'.