Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 01:14:56 -0400

    I guess "only ever use one and only one encoding".  E.g. don't mix latin-1
    and latin-9.

Do you mean don't mix encodings in .emacs?  Or do you mean only use
one encoding for all the files you edit?  The former sounds like a fine
solution: we just have to recommend it in the manual.

    > Can you avoid this by specifying the coding-system explicitly in .emacs?
    > We could recommend that users do so.

    Yes, with -*- coding -*-.  It should also work correctly as long as they
    *don't* specify the encoding via elisp code in their .emacs (with calls to
    set-language-environment, for example).

That sounds like a practical recommendation.
Can you (or someone) write it up for the Emacs manual,
then ack?