Re: Pretest?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Pretest?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:53:54 +0900

> However, I am not sure whether handling of other signals (such as
> SIGCHLD) calls for BLOCK_INPUT nowadays.  If it does, then
> BLOCK_INPUT should be needed also in batch mode, because subprocess
> can be used.

BLOCK_INPUT just increments the variable interrupt_input_blocked, and
it is currently only examined by the SIGALRM/SIGIO handler.

> I am not familiar with getaddrinfo.  Why do users want to be able to
> interrupt it?  Is that because it communicates with a DNS server?

I'm not certain about that, but I guess the assignments to
immediate_quit were copied from those around gethostbyname when the
getaddrinfo support was added.

> The only way I can think of to make this work right is to run it in
> another thread, or use child labor.

Yes, but I think neither of them is a thing to do now.  I feel a bit
inclined to put BLOCK_INPUT around getaddrinfo/freeaddrinfo to be on
the safe side.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden