Re: A new(?) warning of erase-buffer, which was not seen before.

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: A new(?) warning of erase-buffer, which was not seen before.
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:01:42 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I've been working on some patches to comint to do this, by selectively
disabling undo at various points, but it's not entirely straight-forward
because you then have to fix up the undo list to account for the
unrecorded buffer changes.
FWIW, erc.el does this kind of selective undo.
How does it deal with changing buffer locations?

Nicely.

My attempted solution was to scan through buffer-undo-list, updating
those position, every time I inserted some "hidden from undo" text.
[This isn't typically a performance problem because _usually_
buffer-undo-list is nil when process output is occuring.]

That's exactly what ERC does.  See erc-update-undo-list.

I.e. we should probably add a "insert-without-undo" function which does
just that.

Yes, please. And also an delete-without-undo.