Re: Fixes to let woman.el deal with MANPATH_MAP elements

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fixes to let woman.el deal with MANPATH_MAP elements
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:57:13 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:09:41 +0100
>
> Are there actually other users of "woman"?

Yes, there are.

> While I tested the fixes myself on GNU/Linux, woman.el does a _lot_
> of Windows/Cygwin centric stuff

That's because Windows systems don't come with a `man' command
installed.

> (however wise or not it may be to put such code into woman.el
> instead of providing the general facilities elsewhere).

There's no good general solution to mixing Cygwin programs with a
native Windows build of Emacs.  The author of woman.el wanted the
package to be kinder to such mixing that the rest of Emacs.

> If we don't have active users on this list, I don't see a good way to
> get testing coverage apart from checking it in and having it appear in
> the next pretest.

I'm not against committing this in time for the next pretest, but the
next pretest is still some time away, and you should see a heads-up
several days before that.  If by that time no one hollers, I think you
should go ahead and commit it.

Note that in addition to the Cygwin stuff, woman.el should also be
tested on Windows even without Cygwin.  Could people who don't have
man.exe installed on Windows please try the patched version and see
that the patched functions still work?  Thanks.