Re: Fixes to let woman.el deal with MANPATH_MAP elements

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fixes to let woman.el deal with MANPATH_MAP elements
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:39:23 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:07:55 +0100
>
> >> While I tested the fixes myself on GNU/Linux, woman.el does a _lot_
> >> of Windows/Cygwin centric stuff
> >
> > That's because Windows systems don't come with a `man' command
> > installed.
>
> I don't understand.  woman does not use any `man' command on other
> operating systems either, so this is quite orthogonal to the operating
> system support.

Sorry for being unclear.  What I meant to say was that one of the main
motivations for having woman.el in the first place was the absence of
the `man' command from a typical Windows box.  So woman.el, at least
initially, was heavily biased towards MS-Windows users.

> One interesting question is what kind of manpath.config one can expect
> to be found on Cygwin systems when there is no actual `man' command
> using it.

Woman.el can be (and is) used even when `man' does exist.  Some of the
reasons are stated in the commentary section.

Of course, if `man' is absent, I wouldn't expect any manpath.config to
be present, either.  But I don't use Cygwin, so perhaps you should
wait for someone who does to chime in.