emacs' movemail [was: Unstandard?]

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: emacs' movemail [was: Unstandard?]
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:38:43 -0400

   From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden>
   Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:59:08 +0100 (CET)

   movemail tends to be installed in /usr/libexec, and isn't supposed to
   be run by users and shouldn't be in PATH.

btw, i see a message from 2003:

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Subject: Re: APOP support in movemail
   Date: 2003-11-07 01:00:18 GMT

       Anyway, unless we are going to switch to pop3.el as the main
       means of fetching mail via POP3, movemail needs to be updated to
       support APOP, I think.

   In principle, I suppose we could switch to using pop3.el.  Are there
   any disadvantages of such a change?

   However, unless we decide to make that change, we do want movemail to
   be updated.

after some poking around, it seems to me there are two outstanding bugs
in emacs' movemail, if the goal is to get it to "full" pop3 support for
RMAIL (which uses movemail): no APOP support; no pop3s support.

for APOP, see the quick hack attached.  i wrote the code and then found
out i have no way to test it (the pop3 accounts i have access to do not
do APOP).  if someone can test it, that would be great.  whether or not
it should go into this release is another question (i'm indifferent,
personally, since the experience has nudged me closer to switching to
Gnus for mail...).

anyway, i will post a weird pop3s support scheme a little later on.
"weird" because it was designed to interoperate transparently w/ emacs
21.4 RMAIL, which is still very much in use locally.  more later...

thi