RFC: comint.el - comint-highlight-prompt and unreadable colors

From: Jari Aalto
Subject: RFC: comint.el - comint-highlight-prompt and unreadable colors
Date: 25 Mar 2007 12:53:28 +0200

The color control is turned on by default in 21.3 (which I use in
Windows)

   comint-highlight-prompt

This is causing unreadable terminal output when terminal's background
is dark. Using xterm/rxvt with custom dark backgound setting makes the
Emacs M-x shell buffer quite problematic. Similarly in Windows, the
popular Putty terminal by default uses black background.

There are two possiblilities

1) comint-highlight-prompt is set to nil by default
2) comint-highlight-prompt face is modified. The current "cyan" is
   not optimal. Unofrtunately any color could possibly be unreadable
   in user's selected terminal and background

I don't see variable `comint-highlight-prompt' (1) in latest CVS
comint.el. I think it should be reintroduced, because sometimes colors
are not working correctly and one wants to work in "plain" mode (just
like without font-lock).

The best solution would be not to turn on any colors by default.

Jari