Re: Bold font hides end of previous character

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:26:14 +0200

On 3/26/07, LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do you have ClearType on?

Yes

Does it happen also with ClearType off? (I think you could've tried
this without me asking it ;-)

but it still may be a problem with the KVM switch again.

Do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch?

Just checked on another display and I do not see that problem
there. (However later is w2k and the one where I see the
problem is XP.)

So you didn't really check on "another display", but another computer
setup... And AFAIK, W2K does not support ClearType.

Does it happen with the stock CVS Emacs too? Five months ago I
committed a patch from Ben North that could be related (Ben's patch
definitely fixed a problem with bold faces in ClearType-enabled
Windows, BTW).

2006-10-27  Ben North  <address@hidden>  (tiny change)

       * w32term.c (x_draw_glyph_string_foreground): Set background mode
       to TRANSPARENT before using overstrike to simulate bold faces.

       * xfaces.c (best_matching_font): Fix logic to decide whether to
       use overstriking to simulate bold-face (it was reversed).

               Juanma