Re: how to prevent font-lock from messing with a portion of text?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: how to prevent font-lock from messing with a portion of text?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:26:29 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> OK, here's another option: don't change anything to font-lock, don't fiddle
> with it at all, just don't use text-properties to add your special faces.
> Use overlays instead.

Typical "highlighter" applications seem a bit more suited to overlays
anyway (e.g., if I copy the text, I don't really expect the highlighting
to come along...).

I suppose if there's some reason to use text-properties, "hi-lock.el"
(in the distribution) could be used as an example of one way to do that.
[It actually _uses_ font-lock to do the highlighting which seems fairly
clever -- e.g., if you type more text after having highlighted a phrase,
the phrase gets automagically highlighted in the new text too!]

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.