Re: put value last in *Help* buffer for C-h v?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: put value last in *Help* buffer for C-h v?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:33:59 +0200

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to systematically put the variable's value
last in the *Help* buffer for `C-h v'?

I think I agree. It is a bit strange to see the value at the beginning
of the buffer sometimes and sometimes not (because it is "large").
Shouldn't we strive for a consistent user interface if we can?

but wouldn't it always be best to put the value last? The information about
the local and global values, and the [back] button, are more convenient if
presented before the value, no?

I agree, it seems logical to keep all information about the variable
together, in one block.

We might also consider placing a second [back] button after the value, if it
is longer than, say, 50 lines.

I have no strong opinion on this apart from thinking that this too is
inconsistent; as a user I want to be able to trust that the same user
interface widgets are available each time I execute a certain
operation. However, I it might look goofy to see something like this:

 [back]
 Value:
 [back]

/Mathias