Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:07:49 +0900 (JST)

> In Emacs HEAD it is not possible to disable ATSUI font rendering on
> Mac OS X at run-time or at compile-time without hacking the source.

>    $ grep -re 'define[[:space:]]\+USE_ATSUI' emacs
>    emacs/src/macgui.h:#define USE_ATSUI 1
>    $

> IMHO, and personal preference nonwithstanding, rendering without ATSUI
> should at least be an option at compile-time.

"#define USE_ATSUI 1" in macgui.h is surrounded by "#ifndef
USE_ATSUI", so at least you can pass "-DUSE_ATSUI=0" via CFLAGS.

> In the spirit of offering choices I would suggest introducing a
> --disable-atsui configure option, and I'd be happy to send over a
> corresponding patch I have sitting here.  It just defines USE_ATSUI to
> be 0 if the option is specified.

That's not necessary.  Non-ATSUI-compatible (Font Manager) fonts are
still available even if ATSUI is enabled at the compile time.  See the
"Mac Font Specs" node in the Emacs info.

> Thanks for the heads-up, but as far as I'm aware the only control I
> have over text rendering in OS X is the "turn off font smoothing for
> font sizes N and smaller" setting in the Appearance panel in System
> Preferences, and that works on a system-wide level regardless of which
> font is affected and whether we're talking proportional or fixed
> fonts.

That's not necessarily a system-wide level setting.  You can specify
it as a application-specific setting like

  $ defaults write org.gnu.Emacs AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 100

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden