RE: next-error-highlight = t - highlighting doesn't stay until youmoveto

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: next-error-highlight = t - highlighting doesn't stay until youmoveto the next locus
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:00:46 -0700

> I, for one, cannot imagine anyone preferring the behavior where the
> highlighting lives on for ever.

The doc string description of the value t, and the behavior I prefer, is
that the highlighting goes away when it is replaced by the next hit visit
(`next-error'). Yes, this does always leave one occurrence highlighted. That
doesn't bother me. If it did, I would make it go away by re-fontifying the
buffer.

I've been using a similar highlighting in my own code for years, and I in
fact leave all of the visited occurences highlighted, "forever". That makes
it very easy to compare bits of code - a bit like `occur' in context.

> To make it bearable, you'd need at the very
> least a special way to make it go away when you don't want it any more.

Yes, I have a key that removes such highlighting (in the case of my own
highlighting, which is of each visited hit). I prefer to remove the
highlighting only upon demand. Since Emacs 22 only ever leaves one hit
highlighted, I never feel the need to remove that highlighting.

Different strokes for different folks.