RE: next-error-highlight = t - highlighting doesn't stay untilyoumoveto

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: next-error-highlight = t - highlighting doesn't stay untilyoumoveto the next locus
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:56:55 -0700

> > The doc string description of the value t, and the behavior I prefer, is
> > that the highlighting goes away when it is replaced by the next
> > hit visit (`next-error').  Yes, this does always leave one
> > occurrence highlighted. That doesn't bother me. If it did, I would
> > make it go away by re-fontifying the buffer.
>
> Since next-error uses an overlay, re-fontifying wouldn't help.

As I said, leaving the last occurrence highlighted doesn't bother me.
Different people use Emacs differently and have different preferences.

As I said in my initial post:

> For example, if I use pop-up-frames, and I click in the source buffer
> (frame), the highlighting disappears. If the source-buffer frame
> is slightly behind the *grep* frame, then I can't see where the hit
> is - as soon as I click the frame, the highlighting disappears.

Your eyes might be quicker or better than mine, but highlighting that
disappears before I can even notice it is useless to me.

> > I've been using a similar highlighting in my own code for
> > years, and I in fact leave all of the visited occurences
> > highlighted, "forever". That makes it very easy to compare
> > bits of code - a bit like `occur' in context.
>
> >> To make it bearable, you'd need at the very least a special way to make
> >> it go away when you don't want it any more.
>
> > Yes, I have a key that removes such highlighting (in the case of my own
> > highlighting, which is of each visited hit).
>
> But then it looks more and more like a new feature, i.e. not fit
> for Emacs-22.

I'm not asking that multiple occurrences remain highlighted as in my own
code. I'm asking only that the implementation respect the doc string for
`t', that users have an option value that will leave the occurrence
highlighted until `next-error'.