Re: RFC: comint.el - comint-highlight-prompt and unreadable colors

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: RFC: comint.el - comint-highlight-prompt and unreadable colors
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:02:53 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   > So I think Emacs could use the above information if it's present, which
>   > will cover rxvt,
>
> Emacs does use the above information correctly (i.e. it sets the
> default background and the colormap) IFF TERM is set to: xterm,
> xterm-*, rxvt or rxvt-*.
>
> TERM=xterms is equivalent to not having any terminal initialization
> code in lisp/term/*.el

Emacs ought to handle "xterms" too; it's a historical artifact of sorts,
but it used to be very common.

> Where does "xterms" come from? Is is a default setting on some
> systems, or just a user that thought it would be a good idea to set
> TERM to that?

I looked around a bit more, and realized, it's my fault -- it's from my
~/.Xresources file:

    XTerm*termName: xterms

What's really strange is that the real xterm doesn't seem to use that
resource, only rxvt does... so it went unnoticed for ages.

Anyway, I removed that line, and now when I run rxvt, TERM="rxvt", and
Emacs colors are set up properly by default no matter what colors rxvt
is using.

Thanks for the clue that something was funny...

-miles