Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:09:52 -0400

    > Or do you mean only use one encoding for all the files you edit?

    And not only that: also for keyboard-coding-system, locale-coding-system,

keyboard-coding-system says how your keyboard encodes characters.
Of course you should not change that, unless you change your keyboard.

How is the encoding of files you edit relevant to this at all?
How is locale-coding-system relevant to this at all?
They do not affect the decoding of your input.

    >> Can you avoid this by specifying the coding-system explicitly in .emacs?
    >> We could recommend that users do so.

    >     Yes, with -*- coding -*-.  It should also work correctly as long as
    >     they *don't* specify the encoding via elisp code in their .emacs (with
    >     calls to set-language-environment, for example).

    > That sounds like a practical recommendation.
    > Can you (or someone) write it up for the Emacs manual, then ack?

    I have no idea where to put such a thing.

In custom.texi, node Init File.  Perhaps as a new subnode.