Re: filladapt mode stops filling after lengthy amount of emacs uptime

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: filladapt mode stops filling after lengthy amount of emacs uptime
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:35:49 -0700 (PDT)

> More possibly the culprit is the MIME editing facility in SEMI, the MIME
> handling library (used in my mailer Wanderlust). In it:
>
> (defun turn-on-mime-edit ()
>     (setq paragraph-start
>         (regexp-or mime-edit-single-part-tag-regexp
>                    paragraph-start))
>
> Here's that regexp.
>
> (defconst mime-edit-single-part-tag-regexp
>   "--[[][[]\\([^]]*\\)]\\([[]\\([^]]*\\)]\\|\\)]"
>   "*Regexp of MIME tag in the form of [[CONTENT-TYPE][ENCODING]].")
>
> Does that seem like it might be the problem? (SEMI's problem?)

That sounds very much like the problem, like `turn-on-mime-edit' is
getting called repeatedly in the same buffer.  Try adding

(message "turn-on-mime-edit(buffer=%s,pslen=%s)"
         (current-buffer) (length paragraph-start))

to that function (evaluating the `defun' after that library has been
loaded, of course).  Then you can test this hypothesis.  If it is being
called repeatedly, either there is a bug elsewhere that calls it when it's
not necessary, or that function should be modified to only modify
paragraph-start if it has not done so already (perhaps by setting a flag
or consulting the existing value).

Davis

shipping.