menu-bar-map variable

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: menu-bar-map variable
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:52:49 +1200

An earlier thread suggested that tool bar icons should _add to_ rather than
replace existing icons.  I would like to suggest the converse for the menubar
i.e. a variable, menu-bar-map, that can be made buffer-local like tool-bar-map
can.  The reason for this is that I'd like to use the menu-bar like a tool bar
on text-only terminals, but currently the global menu items get in the way.  A
buffer-local variable would allow them to be hidden.

Actually, I don't understand why the tool-bar has it's own map, while the
menu-bar doesn't anyway.