Re: menu-bar-map variable

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: menu-bar-map variable
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:22:33 -0400

    An earlier thread suggested that tool bar icons should _add to_ rather than
    replace existing icons.  I would like to suggest the converse for the
menubar
    i.e. a variable, menu-bar-map, that can be made buffer-local like
tool-bar-map
    can.  The reason for this is that I'd like to use the menu-bar like a tool
bar
    on text-only terminals, but currently the global menu items get in the way.

There is a feature by which a minor mode can turn off specific global
menu items.  It should be in the manual.

    Actually, I don't understand why the tool-bar has it's own map, while the
    menu-bar doesn't anyway.

On general principles, I think the tool bar should be handled just
like the menu bar, with a phony prefix key that can be used in any
active map.

Is there any practical reason not to change that, after the release?