Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:23:09 -0400

    >     I think it's a bug.  It surely handles the ? the same
    >     regardless of the modifiers.  In both cases, it doesn't
    >     decode the key event \351 to ?.  Windows code ask
    >     encoded-kbd-mode to decode it.  And, although
    >     Encoded-kbd-mode can decode \351 to ?, it can't decode
    >     M-\351 to M-?.

    > That sounds like a clear bug in encoded-kbd-mode.

    No, the bug in the use of encoded-kbd-mode.

Maybe they are both bugs.

    The decoding should be
    done elsewhere, as is done in X11.

Perhaps it should be, and perhaps after the release we will change
that.  But that has no effect on what to do now.  Right now, this
is done with encoded-kbd-mode, and we are not planning to change that now.

I've argued that encoded-kbd-mode is doing it wrong.
Handa, do you see what I mean?