Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:47:47 -0400

>     >> Can you avoid this by specifying the coding-system explicitly in
> .emacs?
>     >> We could recommend that users do so.
>
>     >     Yes, with -*- coding -*-.  It should also work correctly as long as
>     >     they *don't* specify the encoding via elisp code in their .emacs
> (with
>     >     calls to set-language-environment, for example).
>
>     > That sounds like a practical recommendation.
>     > Can you (or someone) write it up for the Emacs manual, then ack?
>
>     I have no idea where to put such a thing.
>
> In custom.texi, node Init File.  Perhaps as a new subnode.

The Emacs manual already contained advice to use a -*- coding -*-
string in several places.  I have consolidated these, with a few other
recommendations from this thread, into a new "Init Non-ASCII" subnode.

I didn't add any mention of the Windows-specific problems discussed
elsewhere in this thread, though.