Re: 15 seconds to fontify index

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: 15 seconds to fontify index
Date: 2 Apr 2007 00:04:45 +0200
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 00:23:33 +0100

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 05:42:19PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> For the Emacs Lisp Manual, info.el takes 15 seconds to fontify
> the index.  That's a serious problem, and we need to do something
> about it.

It's not the fontification.  When I turn font-lock-mode off, it still
takes me 11 seconds (1.2 GHz Athlon) to display the page.  Whatever
takes the time isn't being cached, either, because it takes 11 seconds
_every_ time I display it.  Other pages are sluggish - to display Top
takes about 3/4 of a second.

In Emacs 21, Elisp's Index displays instantaneously enough.

> Perhaps we need to reduce the amount of fontification that is done
> on such a large node.  But we have to do SOMETHING.

Agreed.  But it's not the fontification.

--
Alan.