Re: Menubar on text only terminals

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Menubar on text only terminals
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:55:36 +0300

On 2007-04-02 16:56, Nick Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> With tmm, sub-menus have to be navigated through completions
>>> lists, which some find inconvenient.  Toolbars don't have
>>> that extra complexity.  I'm just trying to say that toolbars
>>> and text terminals (with use of the mouse) are a more natural
>>> fit.
>>
>> That's kind of debatable.  Programs like the text-mode elinks
>> web browser work quite nicely with a text mode menubar.  The
>> menu bar of Emacs works in a different way than the elinks
>> menu bar, but I don't see why this makes it less useful than
>> the toolbar.
>
> Maybe for the reason I just gave?

That's where the 'debatable' part fits.  Some users may find it
more useful to use completions to access the menu, rather than
try to hit a particular menu entry with a mouse pointer.  Others
may, obviously, disagree.

> I'm not familiar with Elinks but if it works as well as you
> say, perhaps, ATR it would a good idea to redesign Emacs text
> mode menubar along the same lines.

This is a good idea, IMHO.

Maybe we can aim for making something like this available for
Emacs 23, and make it also possible to switch between two 'modes'
for accessing the menu.  The current completion-based mode, and
something that resembles elinks :)