Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:52:21 -0400

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

>> smtpmail tries to downcase the strings using DOWNCASE function
>> during the SMTP communication.  In Turkish, downcased I is a
>> dotless i.  Therefore, while it tries to downcase some AUTH
>> mechanisms (in smtpmail-via-smtp function), PLAIN and LOGIN turns
>> into pla?n and log?n.
>
> Does the attached change fix the problem?
>
> !             (let ((name (mapcar (lambda (s)
> !                                   (setq s (downcase s))
> !                                   ;; If `I' is downcased to dotless-i,
> !                                   ;; convert it to `i'.
> !                                   (if (/= (downcase ?I) ?i)
> !                                       (subst-char-in-string
> !                                        (downcase ?I) ?i s t))
> !                                   (intern s))

I wonder if there's a better way to do this.  Maybe we can define an
ascii case table that doesn't get overwritten by the locale; then code
like the above can bind to this case table temporarily (or we can
define a downcase-ascii function that does such a thing).

But maybe, for Emacs 22, the above hack is all we need.  Is it true
that in practice, all we have to worry about is "i"?

(I tried changing this another way, but that turned out to be bogus,
so I reverted my patch.  Sorry for the noise.)