Re: Menubar on text only terminals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Menubar on text only terminals
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:07:39 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:28:32 +1200
> Cc: David Kastrup <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> I'm surprised that it is so easy given that tmm.el isn't a simple piece of
> code.

tmm tries to do a very different job; msdos.c just emulates the few
relevant Xlib functions.

> What happens with toggle and radio buttons?  Are they also handled?

Yes, they are supported, but it's not msdos.c that does it, it's
xmenu.c.  Look in single_menu_item there, around line 635, and you
will see that it shows "[X]" for toggles and "(*)" for radio buttons.

IOW, what we have for the non-toolkit build on X already does a large
part of the job, so that only the actual display of the menus is
missing.  And that is where we can lift most of the code from msdos.c,
as I wrote earlier.  The only _real_ problem with that is that msdos.c
gets mouse events via system calls in plain C, whereas text terminals
use Lisp code in t-mouse.el or some such, and it might be tricky to
call Lisp during menu display.

> If someone writes some code, I'll be happy to test it.

If I had time to write the code, I'd do it a long time ago.  But
thanks for volunteering, maybe someone else will step forward for the
coding job (after the release, of course).