Re: Top posting related changes in the cvs

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Top posting related changes in the cvs
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 23:38:37 +0200

() Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
() Tue, 03 Apr 2007 22:45:08 +0200

   ,----
   | 2007-03-27  Thien-Thi Nguyen  <address@hidden>
   |
   |    * message.el (message-yank-original): Fix bug:
   |    Don't switch point and mark unnecessarily.
   `----

   Thien-Thi, could you please explain which bug you intended to fix?
   To put the cursor immediately after the citation line ("Whomever
   writes:" line).  The user should start editing there, removing the
   cited portions the he won't reply to.

before the fix, yanking would leave the cursor after the yanked
messages, contrary to the docstring.  the fix, to regain concordance w/
the docstring, involves conditionalizing a previously unconditional call
to exchange-point-and-mark.  i believe the original unconditional call
was correct (necessary) prior to another change:

2005-08-01  Katsumi Yamaoka  <address@hidden>

  * gnus-uu.el (gnus-uu-save-article): Use insert-buffer-substring
    instead of insert-buffer.

  * message.el (message-yank-original): Ditto; set the mark at the
    end of the yanked message.

insert-buffer-substring inserts before point, while insert-buffer
inserts after point.  my analysis is that the exchange-point-and-mark
relied on insert-buffer's behavior, and thus became incorrect after the
2005-08-01 change, since point and mark were already in the correct
order.

my fix (to conditionalize the call) removes the direct dependency so
that the desired ending position of point will be as documented for
whatever function is used (now or in the future) to do the insert, as
long as the inserted text is bracketed by point and mark.

an alternative fix that is less robust against future changes is to rely
on the behavior of insert-buffer-substring and simply remove the call to
exchange-point-and-mark.  then we can chase this bug again later for
hours of fun...

   When doing changes in Gnus it would be nice to dicuss such changes on
   address@hidden - especially WRT the upcoming Emacs release (in this
   case, I didn't even see any discussion on emacs-devel or on the
   pretest-list).

   Unless there is a very good reason for this change, I intend to
   revert it.  I certainly don't want Gnus in Emacs 22 behave this way
   by default!

i think the behavior, leaving point between the citation and the yanked
text, is nice.  i was happy to read about it in the docstring.  it seems
whoever wrote the original (concording) code+docstring was thoughtful.

thi