Re: Nonsensical byte compiler warning.

From: Markus Triska
Subject: Re: Nonsensical byte compiler warning.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:50:45 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> I reported this warning without being able to figure out where it
> came from, remember?

Yes, I remember. I also remember that at least 3 other people figured
it out. One of them submitted a patch. Another one couldn't see the
problem despite having pinpointed the exact location of the call (as
you suggest that the optimiser report), believing in a "bug in the
byte compiler". While the error text can be improved, I find it
unjustified to call the current behaviour "nonsensical", "plain
useless" or "a compiler bug". It's a reasonable choice to point to the
enclosing defun, and if your function has dozens of calls to
char-before, there are probably graver problems to worry about.