Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:15:50 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> > Ummm.  So, in casefolding search, which is good; "maße"
> > matches with both "MASSE" and "masse", "maße" doesn't match
> > with them, or "maße" matches only with "MASSE".

> Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.  Please reformulate.

> Ideally, searching `maße' should not match `masse', but it should
> match `MASSE'.

That's what I wanted to know, but it seems very difficult to
implement.  Provided that we give up that ideal behaviour,
which is better; searching `maße' matches both "masse" and
"MASSE", or searching `maße' doesn't match any of "masse"
and "MASSE".

> Note that, to make a distinction in the uppercased
> version between Maße (measures, metrics) and Masse (mass, matter),
> some people also write `MASZE' for the uppercased version of Maße.
> This use of SZ is oldfashioned and not `official' any more.

I hope people don't claim even if we don't support it.  :-p

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden