Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 11:56:51 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:15:50 +0900
>
> > Ideally, searching `maße' should not match `masse', but it should
> > match `MASSE'.
>
> That's what I wanted to know, but it seems very difficult to
> implement.

Are we talking about Emacs 22 or Emacs 23?  If the former, I don't
think we should do anything with such complicated case equivalences,
at least not now.

If you are talking about Emacs 23, I think we should first try to
design its search routines to cater to all the complications described
by the Unicode standard, no matter how difficult that is.  Only if
full compliance turns out to be unbearably hard and slow, should we
consider less strict adherence.  That's because these case equivalence
complications are just a tip of the iceberg, as far as Unicode goes,
and if we give up so early, we will never have Emacs that is compliant
with Unicode.  AFAIR, the Unicode standard has some practical advice
and even sample code that shows how to implement case-insensitive
search, so it's not like we are talking about rocket science.