Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:47:46 -0400

    Azeri is the same as Turkish as for this.  For the current
    specific case, only "I" is the problem.  But, in general
    case changing, there are many many weird problems, and some
    of them require locale-dependent processing.  For instance,
    U+00CC (I WITH GRAVE) must be downcased into "U+0069 U+0307
    "U+0300" sequence (i with dot-above and grave) in
    Lithuanian.

I didn't know about that one.  This means that there may be various
languages that the default case tables don't handle, and that need to
change it just as Turkish changes it.

At present, the case table feature of English is incapable of handling
Lithuanian.  It can't convert one character into multiple characters.
It can't handle German quite right either.

After the release, it would be good to design a new case conversion
system which can handle the cases where one letter converts to more
than one.  It would be nice if it could even handle German.
This could be done thru the spell checker.