Re: Splash screen problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Splash screen problems
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:00:30 +0300

> Date: 8 Apr 2007 23:41:56 +0200
> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 00:01:19 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > What a bizarre thing to do in site-start.el!!  Why don't have mercy on
> > the other poor users of your system?
>
> The other users are me and me.  ;-)  I don't think that's that unusual
> for users of PCs nowadays.

Then there's no real reason to have site-init.el, IMO.

> > root can have a .emacs file as well, you know.
>
> Yes, but copying and pasting between them isn't a very good idea, because
> there are bugs even in my .emacs, my other .emacs and my third .emacs.
> So things that I want for all "users", I put in site-start.el, so that
> they only need debugging once.

Doesn't look to me like a reason not to have a .emacs for root.

> Did you look at my patches?

Yes, of course.  While I'm always for ``more documentation'', I'm not
sure this is a very good idea in this case, because there are many
other customizations that will not work in site-init.el.