Re: address@hidden: display-pixel behavior changed on Mac OS X]

From: Ryan McGeary
Subject: Re: address@hidden: display-pixel behavior changed on Mac OS X]
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:06:14 -0400

On 4/11/07, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> wrote:

That's not a bug, and the change is for consistency with X11.  The
related thread starts from
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2007-03/msg00412.html

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate the strive for consistency
with X11, but I fear the recent change loses useful functionality in
other areas.

I now understand the terminology difference between display and
framebuffer, but seeing as how "emacs doesn't have a concept to
distinguish multiple framebuffers yet,"  what would be the best way to
determine the dimensions of the main "framebuffer?"  It sounds like
this is no longer possible with the latest change.

David Reitter makes an good point when he says, "What complicates
matters is that multiple monitors may be arranged so that the total
desktop area is not rectangular. Just having information about total
width and height won't be enough."

-Ryan