Re: narrow-to-defun and mark-defun now work properly for CC Mode.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: narrow-to-defun and mark-defun now work properly for CC Mode.
Date: 11 Apr 2007 21:49:41 +0200
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:09:16 +0100

'Evening, Chong!

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:53:30PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> > The problem is due to the recent change:

> > 2007-04-09  Alan Mackenzie  <address@hidden>

> One way to see this is to open xdisp.c, and do C-s method.  The
> incremental search takes several seconds.  Previously, it was
> instantaneous.

> Another data point:

> - Open xdisp.c
> - M->

> On my Pentium IV, M-> takes 30 seconds to complete.

I have a 1.2 GHz Athlon, and for me these operations are instantaneous
enough.  I start Emacs with -Q.  With C-s method, I don't see any delay
at all, and M-> takes well under half a second.  I have checked (by doing
C-x n d) that I have my own latest changes in my Emacs.

Chong, please confirm you're starting your Emacs with -Q.  Would you
please check that C-x n d (`narrow-to-defun') does include functions'
headers.  One other possibility is that the recipe I gave for rebuilding
the CC Mode files.elc was erroneous (or you made an error following it),
and, somehow, one or more of the macros didn't get properly compiled.

I last updated my Emacs a week ago.  I'm going to update it again in the
next few minutes, to see if some other change in the last few days is
interacting badly with my changes.

I would like very much (and that is an understatement) to diagnose this
problem.  It would be very nice to achieve this in hours rather than
days, and I'll do all I can to help here.

--
Alan.