Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:48:57 +0200

> Footnote variables aren't known, until `footnote-mode'
> is loaded. It will be loaded usually with the buffer,
> where footnotes are to be inserted.
>
> But after loading, changing the style will not be possible?

Not by _customizing_ it.  You can set the style for the current buffer
with `Footnote-set-style'.  `footnote-style' is made buffer-local via

(make-local-variable 'footnote-style)

in `footnote-mode'. Hence it won't give you the familiar

This variable automatically becomes buffer-local when set outside Custom.
However, setting it through Custom sets the default value.

text you see when `make-variable-buffer-local' is used.

> Indeed I had to open another buffer after customization.
>
> That's uncomfortable.
>
> Must `footnote-style' be a local variable?

Try by yourself: Insert a couple of foontnotes in a buffer, do
`Footnote-set-style' to another style, and insert one more footnote.

> Symbols after "3" seem odd to me. After "ยง" it starts
> numbering again with "1". Strange.
>
> Maybe I ignore what latin-style means?

It might be useful for inserting up to three footnotes on a single page
(I hate footnotes).