CVS Emacs Cygwin crash and browse-url question.

From: Alex Bochannek
Subject: CVS Emacs Cygwin crash and browse-url question.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:25:29 -0700

Hello,

I have been trying to use CVS Emacs under Cygwin(*) for a while and had
experienced frequent SEGVs(**), which led me to stick with EmacsW32. I
tried to get it to run reliably again in my environment and finally
determined that the root cause of this problem is tool-bar-mode. It
seems to have something to do with a string object that has a bogus
address in it and the garbage collector trips over it. It's trivial to
reproduce(***) and even though I can live just fine without
tool-bar-mode I would be happy to help troubleshoot it.

CVS Emacs under Cygwin is working quite well for me now, but I noticed
that browse-url doesn't work. It seems odd to me that:

(defcustom browse-url-browser-function
  (cond
   ((memq system-type '(windows-nt ms-dos cygwin))
    'browse-url-default-windows-browser)

and

(defun browse-url-default-windows-browser (url &optional new-window)
  (interactive (browse-url-interactive-arg "URL: "))
  (if (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
      (if dos-windows-version
          (shell-command (concat "start " (shell-quote-argument url)))
        (error "Browsing URLs is not supported on this system"))
    (w32-shell-execute "open" url)))

but obviously none of the w32 functions are included for the Cygwin
target.

I would like to be able to use the browser configured as default for
Windows and that's something that worked really well with EmacsW32 -
select a URL, a new tab opens up in Firefox. Obviously, I would rather
not run an additional browser under Cygwin and as useful as
text-browsers are for some content within an Emacs buffer, an external
Firefox is what works well for me.

I hope the observation regarding tool-bar-mode is useful and am looking
forward to suggestions on the browse-url issue.

Thanks,

Alex.

(*) GNU Emacs 22.0.97.1, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars, CYGWIN_NT-5.1
    1.5.24(0.156/4/2), Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] SP1,
    AttachmateWRQ Reflection X 14.0.0.

(**) Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
     0x200f204c in mark_object (arg=536990987) at alloc.c:5515
     5515            MARK_INTERVAL_TREE (ptr->intervals);

(**) emacs -q; C-h i; keep SPACE depressed until Emacs crashes