Re: CVS Emacs Cygwin crash and browse-url question.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs Cygwin crash and browse-url question.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:27:45 +0300

> From: Alex Bochannek <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:25:29 -0700
>
> I have been trying to use CVS Emacs under Cygwin(*) for a while and had
> experienced frequent SEGVs(**), which led me to stick with EmacsW32. I
> tried to get it to run reliably again in my environment and finally
> determined that the root cause of this problem is tool-bar-mode. It
> seems to have something to do with a string object that has a bogus
> address in it and the garbage collector trips over it. It's trivial to
> reproduce(***) and even though I can live just fine without
> tool-bar-mode I would be happy to help troubleshoot it.

Thank you for your report.

First, please tell us whether the SEGVs happen even if you build the
Cygwin Emacs with the versions of GCC that are considered ``safe'' (in
the sense that other versions are known to produce a binary the
crashes almost instantly).  See the entry in PROBLEMS whose header is
"Building the Cygwin port for MS-Windows can fail with some GCC
version".  Also, please make sure you don't build the Cygwin port with
GTK+, as this configuration is known to crash on Cygwin (again, see
PROBLEMS).

If the crashes happen in a binary that is nether built with GTK+ nor
compiled by ``unsafe'' GCC versions, then yes, we would like to try to
debug this.  Unfortunately, none of the Emacs maintainers use Cygwin,
so all we can do is ask you to investigate and suggest ideas for how
to fix it.

Thanks.