Re: Adding a line to the splash screen with the guided tour's URL

From: Jason Spiro
Subject: Re: Adding a line to the splash screen with the guided tour's URL
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:47:11 -0400

2007/4/13, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
"Jason Spiro" <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it be practical to at least add a line of plain text to the
> splash screen: "The illustrated guided tour is at
> http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/emacs/";?  I can send a patch to implement
> this if you like.

Please, no.  Emacs 22 might be in use for years; there's no guarantee
that URL will be up for an equivalent period of time.

OK, would it possible to create a website
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour and mention that URL instead?
It'd be best if the website is simply an Apache redirect to
http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/emacs/ for now because Phil and I will be
improving the material and/or changing the official file location to
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Software_documentation in
the near future.  And perhaps someone might one day make a
talking-head and/or screencast-style video tour in a Free file format;
if so, I'll get it linked there too.

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I provide software development and training services to clients worldwide.