Re: should query-replace-regexp-eval be in the manual?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: should query-replace-regexp-eval be in the manual?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 00:03:37 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Basically it has been my experience that query-replace-regexp-eval
> is a nice idea, but in practice quite unusable.  \, achieves a
> similar purpose but with a much more convenient interface.

To get back to the original question: since \, has all of the
functionality of query-replace-regexp-eval with a more convenient
interface, query-replace-regexp-eval could be considered obsolete or
at least obscure.

Since we tell people how to do the same thing more flexibly with \, I
don't think that query-replace-regexp-eval deserves a place in the
manual.  It would be a lot of additional explanation without any
conceivable benefit to the user.