Re: cvs emacs and (system-name)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cvs emacs and (system-name)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:14:17 -0400

>> I don't really have a domain I would put my machine in, and I think
>> a reasonable number of people may fall into this category.  Emacs
>> picking "localhost.localdomain" over the actual name of my machine
>> still seems a bit odd.

But it's kind of difficult for Emacs to guess which of the three names you
put there is "my machine name".  Maybe "localhost" could be ruled out
because it's sufficiently standard.  But "localhost.localdomain" is not
particularly standard, AFAIK.

Maybe the answer is that Emacs should just disregard the "127.*.*.*"
IP range.

> !             while (*alias && ( !index (*alias, '.') ||
> !                  !strcmp (*alias, "localhost.localdomain" ) ) )

Yuck!!

        Stefan