Re: Changes to hi-lock before release.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changes to hi-lock before release.
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 20:46:35 -0400

    > Also, it seems absurd for an explicit call to hi-lock-find-patterns to
    > check this variable.  If the user explicitly gives the command, it
    > should be obeyed.  I think that hi-lock-file-patterns-policy should be
    > tested only when hi-lock-find-patterns is called in other ways (such
    > as by find-file).

    What you suggested is indeed the behavior of hi-lock-find-patterns.

I don't see it.  hi-lock-find-patterns takes no arguments
and it never bypasses checking hi-lock-file-patterns-policy.
How does it distinguish explicit M-x calls from calls that come from hooks?

We should fix this, but not before the release.