Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:05:12 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> As far as I can tell, there will likely be a strong recommendation
>> of tumme aka thumbnails aka dired-image (or whatever 8-)) in the
>> manual.  And thumbs will remain as an option for people who long for
>> the freedom of looking for alternatives.  (At least for the viewing
>> part of tumme, less so for the image managing part.)
>
> They would have this freedom even if we did not distribute thumbs as
> part of Emacs.  That might be the least confusing option.

Yes, one could get thumbs from some archive, but in this case the
burden would be on the user, in the other case "only" on the Emacs
maintainers.  I think confusion here can easily be avoided with a
clear recommendation.

On the other hand people argued intelligently about a better name for
tumme.  This should apply also to thumbs, maybe it is not worth the
effort, shortly before this release and it would be better and cleaner
(this time) to leave thumbs out.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm