`set-mark-command-repeat-pop' riddle

From: martin rudalics
Subject: `set-mark-command-repeat-pop' riddle
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:58:18 +0200

The first customizable item in the editing group is

set-mark-command-repeat-pop: Hide Value Toggle  off (nil)
   State: STANDARD.

Non-nil means that repeating C-@ after popping will pop. More

Clicking on More will reveal the additional information:

This means that if you type C-u C-@ C-@
will pop twice.

If I didn't consult the code of `set-mark-command' I wouldn't have the
slightest idea what these mean (ask someone new to Emacs to interpret
this doc-string).  It's also distracting because this is the only
customizable entry in the `editing' group and a fresh user probably
might consult this group among the first.

Moreover the doc-string uses C-u instead of \\[universal-argument] and
misses a version number.  I'd propose to move this variable to the
`editing-basics' group and change the doc-string as in the attached
patch.
*** simple.el   Sat Apr 21 11:49:22 2007
--- simple.el   Mon Apr 23 08:46:42 2007
***************
*** 3198,3208 ****
        (message "Mark activated")))))

  (defcustom set-mark-command-repeat-pop nil
!   "*Non-nil means that repeating \\[set-mark-command] after popping will pop.
! This means that if you type C-u \\[set-mark-command] \\[set-mark-command]
  will pop twice."
    :type 'boolean
!   :group 'editing)

  (defun set-mark-command (arg)
    "Set the mark where point is, or jump to the mark.
--- 3198,3212 ----
        (message "Mark activated")))))

  (defcustom set-mark-command-repeat-pop nil
!   "Non-nil means repeating \\[set-mark-command] jumps to next position on
mark ring.
! If this variable is non-nil, repeating the \\[set-mark-command] command with
no
! prefix argument pops the next position off the local \(or global)
! mark ring and jumps there.  Hence, typing \\[universal-argument] \
! \\[set-mark-command] followed by \\[set-mark-command]
  will pop twice."
    :type 'boolean
!   :version "22.1"
!   :group 'editing-basics)