Re: ugliness in simple.el CVS log

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ugliness in simple.el CVS log
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:06:14 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:40:17 +1200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > Please let's trust Miles that he knows his way with "cvs admin -m".
>  > He's one of the few project admins for a very good reason.
>
> It's not just one file as Thi suggests, and AFAIK logs and code are stored in
> the same files.  The reason for having few project admins can only be that
> it's easy to mess things up.

But if we don't allow even admins to do those things, then why have
admins at all?

> Since, as you say, the correct change doesn't affect any file that
> goes into the tarball, why take any risk, however small?

Because much more risky changes were done recently and are probably
being done as we speak, and I don't think I remember you protesting so
vehemently.  Let us have a bit of consistency here, or else people
would ridicule us when we request that no unnecessary changes should
be done before the release.  If "admin -m" is deemed dangerous, then
what about changes to the manuals, let alone C and Lisp files? they
all have been made even today.

Anyway, any possible damage to RCS files will be noted because as part
of tarring the release one must build Emacs.  So there's no danger
that a damaged Emacs will be released.