Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:54:50 -0500

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> I seem to be the only one who have spoken in favour of the current
> precedence rule, but I'm only a casual user of calc, so my opinion
> shouldn't matter here!

You must have missed a few messages; you are by no means the only one
in favor of the current rule.

> Besides, I usually add () to mixtures of / and * anyway (for clarity
> and/or to dictate a specific evaluation order to get maximum precision
> in the result).

Well, I think that's the proper way of doing it; even though there are
rules for interpreting expressions like a*b/c*d, that doesn't mean
writing the expression that way is a good thing to do -- it's just bad
form.  I don't think there is any difference between Calc's current
precedence rule and the more standard one for properly written
expressions.

Jay