Re: address@hidden: Re: redisplay]

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: redisplay]
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:12:04 +0200

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:14:35 +0200 Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

> I can't reproduce it with or without Gtk+, *scratch* or not.  I
> suspect it is a timing issue in X.  I don't think redisplay guarantees
> that all redisplay related events has been received and handeled by
> Emacs before it returns.  My guess is that it just makes the needed X
> calls and then returns.  For some reason or another, the dialog blocks
> the handling of other X events.  Can the OP try to move the dialog
> around a bit and see if the frame below it is redrawn at all?

I'm not the OP but I followed up with the observation of different
behaviors depending on how the sexp is evalled.  When I first tested,
I got consistent results, but after reading your post I tried it
again, both with -Q and with my initializations, and now found the
results to be inconsistent, i.e., sometimes I got a fully redrawn
frame and sometimes a blank frame (though when it was blank, moving
the dialog frame did not cause redrawing of the blank frame),
regardless of how I evalled the sexp.  I guess this supports your
suspicion about timing.

Steve Berman