Re: Excessive refontification when setting jit-lock-context-unfontify-po

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Excessive refontification when setting jit-lock-context-unfontify-pos
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:41:08 -0400

> `font-lock-multiline' (the variable) is set to t.  And multiline
> constructs also get the `font-lock-multiline' property.  But I
> actually don't want to use `font-lock-multiline' for forward
> fontification because it has often led to "color spill".  What I am
> currently doing is to give up after a certain amount of forward
> searching and give the tag probably starting an unfinished multiline
> construct a warning color.

> But that means that the mechanism using the `font-lock-multiline' property
> won't find such a property at boundaries of regions to be fontified.

Check the Elisp Manual's discussion of multiline fontification.
You're confusing the identification and the re-highlighting.
The `font-lock-multiline' property is there to solve the
"re-highlighting" problem.  The problem you mention here is one of
"identification", and this one is not solved by font-lock-multiline indeed,
but by your f-l-fontify-region-function (or by f-l-extend-region).
So I still don't understand where/why you need
jit-lock-context-unfontify-pos.

        Stefan