Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:15:21 -0400

> I've created the tag EMACS_22_BRANCHPOINT. Due to python.el and version
> number changes on the branch, I did the diff one hour forwards and backwards
> from the time above - which is the time Chong sent the announcement, to
> ensure I had the correct revisions. The only changes in that timeframe were
> to src/xdisp.c and src/Changelog by Chong before the branch, so I am pretty
> sure -D "2007-04-24 02:51" gives the correct revisions for all files.

Thank you.

> It may be possible to rename EMACS_22_BASE to EMACS_22_RC using cvs tag -A,
> depending on how that is implemented - if it creates a new tag pointing to
> the same versions then it should work, but if it creates a real alias, as
> the name suggests, then it could have disasterous consequences when we
> change EMACS_22_BASE to replace EMACS_22_BRANCHPOINT (the latter is easily
> done).

I don't know the -A flag to tag (could it be a cvsnt-ism?), so maybe this is
doing the right thing, but otherwise I think there's no clean way to rename
a branch in CVS.

The best I've found so far is:

    cvs admin -N <newname>:<oldname>
    cvs admin -n <oldname>

the first may be equivalent to

    cvs admin -n <newname>:<oldname>

and the second may be equivalent to

    cvs tag -B -d <oldname>

I've just tried it on emacs/admin/notes/toto and it seems to work.

        Stefan